Monday, September 12, 2011

September 11th

And yes, another post I'm a day behind on...

I was in 10th grade at Hunt High School on September 11, 2001. I'd just walked into 2nd period, which was World History. My teacher, who usually greeted each of us as we walked in, was glued to the television. The headlines read "plane hits World Trade Center." We all thought it was a mistake, the plane was just flying too low & it was simply an accident. Then the worst thing I could have ever imagined happened - we sat there & watched the second tower get hit. I was in 10th grade, I was so confused & couldn't wrap my brain around what was happening - no one could! We all sat there in silence for what felt like hours. Our principal came over the intercom & asked us to all remain in our current classroom, not to change periods until we could figure out what was going on. 

Finally they let us all out for lunch. That was the quietest lunch period in Hunt High School history, I'm sure! At that point we knew it was an attack on the US & we didn't know what was going to happen next. 

Even at such a young age, I remember being so incredibly proud to be an American. People came together to help, support, and offer guidance to anyone in need. No one complained, no one was selfish - we were all friends, no matter the sex, race, etc. It's sad it took something so horrible to make us all realize the good in people...

Yesterday as Freddy watched football allllllllll day, I popped in every once in a while to catch the commercials. Did anyone see the Anheuser Busch Clydesdales commercial? Oh my goodness, I cried like a baby!!!!!!

Do one thing today - be nice to someone for absolutely no reason! Hold the door for an elderly woman, say hello to a total stranger, give that waitress an extra dollar. Be proud to be an American because you may not be able to do all those things in another country.

We're so quick to complain & worry about all those little things. I'm guilty of it myself! But just stop for a minute & realize all the wonderful things around you, and smile :)

Have a great day!

No comments:

Post a Comment